- The ALP is a set of technical drawings of the airport depicting both the current condition and the planned future condition. Having an up to date and FAA/TxDOT approved ALP set is a requirement necessary to obtain federal/state capital improvement development grant funding. Any project for which the airport may request federal/state financial participation must be depicted on the ALP.
- The ALP Update serves as the local airport planning document to guide development needs over a 20-year period. The purpose of the ALP Update is summarized as follows:
- Provide a visioning document to guide airport management and other decision makers regarding development of the airport over the next 20 years.
- Address local and national changes in the aviation industry that could impact priorities at Scholes International Airport at Galveston.
- Identify and plan for potential capital projects, in advance, so that coordination, approvals, financing, design and construction can take place in a timely manner.
- Develop a plan that addresses FAA/TxDOT and airport priorities (i.e., safety, design standards, land use compatibility, compliance, etc.).
- To have a current and approved ALP on file with FAA/TxDOT so that future grant funding can continue uninterrupted.
- To Increase stakeholder/public awareness of the airport’s goals and objectives.
- To maintain communication and capital project discussions with FAA/TxDOT and airport stakeholders.
- To document justification for FAA/TxDOT funding of specific projects, where it exists, and to provide triggers that would justify planned future projects.
FAA/TxDOT recommends that public-use airports update their primary planning documents periodically or as local aviation conditions change. The most recent Airport Master Plan was completed in 2003 and the Business Plan was completed in 2013. This Airport Master Plan and Business Plan will provide planning guidance for up to 20-years.
Coffman Associates, a national aviation consulting firm specializing in airport planning studies, was selected following a qualifications-based selection process.
TxDOT is providing 90 percent of the project funding, with the remaining 10 percent coming from the airport.
- Inventory of Existing Conditions
- Aviation Demand Forecasts (to be approved by TxDOT)
- Facility Requirements and Alternatives
- Airport Plans and Land Use Compatibility (to be approved by TxDOT/FAA)
- Financial Management and Development Program
- Final Drawings and Reports
- Airport Business Plan
The PAC consists of local community leaders and stakeholders. The PAC will provide guidance and feedback on draft documents. PAC meetings take place at key milestones in the planning process. A list of individuals serving on the PAC can be obtained from airport management (see contact information).
All pertinent project materials, including draft submissions, are posted to a dedicated project website: www.galveston.airportstudy.net/. Public comments can be submitted on the project web site.
Most of the work on the Airport Master Plan and Business Plan can be done remotely. There are several in-person meetings (PAC and Public Information Workshops) included in the scope of services. The scope also includes an alternate option of hosting meetings remotely through commonly available internet-based services such as Zoom, Microsoft Teams, or Ring Central. Should it become necessary, these resources will be utilized.